Empirical Inquiry: Limitations and Possibilities
| overview| no unwobbling pivots | story | intersubjectivity | inquiry and education |
Center for Science in Society
7 December 2007
Story ... and its Usefulness
Noticing the story
- There is a crack between unconscious and story just as there is between observations and summary of observations
- The crack between unconscious and story can be used to conceive of things that have not yet existed, just as that between observations and summary can bring new things into existence.
On to Story
- Story is as much a part of "empirical inquiry" as observations
- By generating/testing stories, one generates new possibilities
- Valuable metadisciplinary work includes
- Comparing/constrasting conflicting stories without quickly dismissing any
- Recognizing/negating existing presumptions to see what will happen
- Bringing new kinds of observations into a discipline to see if the existing frameworks can handle them ... or not
On to story sharing, intersubjectivity, culture ...